EHS
Logo
divider


Launched 09/04/2011

Latest update

19/02/2021 03:37

divider



Grade II Listed
King Post
St. Marys Road
Demography
1234
YearNameAddressFlatRelationCM/FAgeOccupationPlace of birth 
1841Mary ClaysonThe Square   F45  
1841Thomas ClaysonThe Square   M40  
1841William ClaysonThe Square   M24  
1841Thomas ClaysonThe Square   M12  
1841Mary ClaysonThe Square   F10  
1841Richard ClaysonThe Square   M8  
1851Thomas ClaysonThe Square HeadMM54Ag LabElham
1851Mary ClaysonThe Square WifeMF54 Acrise
1851Thomas ClaysonThe Square SonUM22Ag LabElham
1851Mary A ClaysonThe Square DaughterUF21Servt At HomeElham
1851Richard ClaysonThe Square SonUM17 Elham
1861Kezia Inkpennr the Square1MotherWF47House KeeperKent
1861John Playernr the Square1HeadUM26Blacksmith JourneymanKent
History
123
YearText Photos 
The Ministry of Town and Country Planning List describes this house as having a Georgian front of alternating red brick and grey headers, with original windows, a tiled roof, and modillion eaves cornice, - and so it appears from the front. This masks, however, a very fine 15th century timber-framed house of the 'Wealden' type, which stands end on to the road, and set back a little from it.

The recessed front of this ancient house may be seen in the passage which runs to the left of the house, and with its later, Tudor diamond pane windows, is most picturesque. The casements, with their latches and fittings are the original ones, and even some of the glass is ancient.

Inside the house may be seen the magnificent 15th century crown-post roof, some medieval panelling, and moulded and crenellated beams. The old open hall had a floor inserted towards the end of the 16th century, and the fine wide fireplace, and the staircase with carved newels dates also from then.

The front end of the house, where there was once the old buttery and pantry, was entirely rebuilt in Georgian times, and still contains its 18th century floorboards and fittings. Under this part is an ancient cellar which appears to be the undercroh of a small building even earlier than the 15th century house. It has thick walls of flint, and a stone corbel which once supported the central beam of the floor above the cellar.

The cellar was repaired, and alterations made in brick, when the Georgian part was built. This house has been granted the plaque of the Committee for the Preservation of Rural Kent and the Kent Archaeological Society.

Elham Study
 
King Post Derek Boughton 10143
Mrs Nellie Smith Derek Boughton 10148
King Post Wise Follies Garden - Child Mary Smith? Derek Boughton 10149
King Post Edward Smith Derek Boughton 10150
c 1915 King Post rear garden Bryan Badham 10105
c 1920 King Post Derek Boughton 10138
Ownership
No ownership records found for this building

No ownership records found for this building