EHS
Logo
divider


Launched 09/04/2011

Latest update

19/02/2021 03:37

divider



c 1387 Grade II Listed
Elham Manor
The Row
Demography
123
YearNameAddressFlatRelationCM/FAgeOccupationPlace of birth 
1841William HuntThe Upper Row1  M65 Not Kent
1841Hannah HuntThe Upper Row1  F65 Not Kent
1841Caroline HuntThe Upper Row1  F15 Kent
1841Charles CullingThe Upper Row2  M45 Kent
1841Mary ClarkThe Upper Row2  F20 Kent
1841William CullingThe Upper Row2  M20 Kent
1851Charles Culling22 The Row   M58Carpenter Master Emp 1 JournElham
1861Charles CullingBack Street HeadUM69CarpenterElham
1861George CullingBack Street BrotherMM65CarpenterElham
1861Sophia CullingBack Street ...MF53 Hardres
1861Louisa CullingBack Street Niece F9 Elham
1871George CullingBack Street Head M75 Kent
1871Louisa CullingBack Street Daughter F19 Kent
History
YearText Photos 
1387 This delightful house stands at the top of Culling's Hill, on the Old Road which was once the only way through Elham towards Canterbury. The present house is L.-shaped in plan, and consists of the old hall, once open to the roof, and a large wing on the Culling's Hill side. The services wing, where the buttery and the pantry were, is missing, and was evidently pulled down to make room for the long timbered house on the right of the Old Manor, where a long row of windows on the first floor show that a weaver lived here in the 17th century.

The site of the earliest manor house, sometimes referred to as the 'Palace of the Earls of Eu', was situated a little to the south of the present house, around St. Mary's Church Hall, where fragments of foundations have been found. Some ancient stone walling in the cellars of the two cottages, Nos. 1 and 2 the New Road belong to the Old Palace.

The history of the present house dates from the execution of Sir Simon Burley in 1387. He owned the manor at that time, and his estates were forfeited to the Crown, and were granted shortly afterwards by Richard 11 to the Dean and Canons of Westminster. It would appear that the Old Palace was then demolished, and the present house erected, this having a central open hall, with a two storey wing on each side of it. The hall had a floor inserted in it when the first brick chimneys were added in the 16th century.

Today, the interior of the house is a most charming place, with its wealth of old beams and panelling. The massive tiebeam and crown-post seen upstairs, mark the centre of the old hall, and the moulded and crenellated beams once adorned each side of the hall. The two dragon-beams allowed the joists to give an overhang on three sides. All these features belong to the original house, except the panelling and the old floorboards, which are 17th century. The Old Manor House has been granted the plaque of the Committee for the Preservation of Rural Kent and the Kent Archaeological Society.

Elham Study
 
c 1920 Manor House Bryan Badham 10107
c 1930 Manor House Bryan Badham 10106
1947 The old manor house at Elham was extensively damaged by fire at about 4 o'clock on Friday morning. Mrs. Parkinson, wife of Major C. N. Parkinson, a lecturer at Liverpool University, her two children, a maid and her child, and a nurse, were able to leave in time. Dover Express - Friday 04 April 1947  
2010 Manor House Cottage Bryan Badham 10175
Manor House Bryan Badham 10176
Ownership
123
 YearAddressHouse Name£ PricePurposeNotesOwner 
 1060     Edric
 1067     Odo de Bayeux
 1086     William d'Aubigny II
 1139     William d'Aubigny III
 1151     John d'Eu
 1171     Henry d'Eu
 1218     Raoul d'issouden
 1218     Raoul d'Exoudun
c1226     Alice d'Eu
 1234     Henry III
 1245     Edward I
 1257     Boniface of Savoy
c1265     Roger de Leyburn
 1271     William de Leyburn