He was a pupil of Bodley and Garner. A second cousin to Elham resident (Robert) Anthony Eden (PM 1955-1957), he started as an architect, but concentrated increasingly on the design of church fittings and stained glass, setting up a studio in Red Lion Square, London around 1910. He was an advocate of clear, crisp use of colour (cf his work at Trevethin). This combination followed the principles of the Art Workers Guild, to which he belonged.
At the end of St. Mary's church are the organ loft, font cover and baptistry, all designed by F.C. Eden, who restored the church in the early 1900s. He also designed the west window of the south aisle as part of a larger scheme which was not completed.
There appears to be a connection with the incumbent vicar, Alard de Bourbel. F.C.Eden's uncle Henley Eden played cricket for The Easter Club alongside Alard's father Augustus. There is reference to a game in 1853 against St. John's Wood at Lord's in which both played. Augustus also played a first-class match for the MCC.